• WBST 92.1 FMMuncie
  • WBSB 89.5 FMAnderson
  • WBSW 90.9 FMMarion
  • WBSH 91.1 FMHagerstown / New Castle
Indiana Public Radio, a listener-supported service of Ball State University

Operation Legend Implemented In Indianapolis

By Jill Sheridan, IPB News | Published on in Crime, Government, Statewide News
U.S. Attorney for the Southern District, Josh Minkler.
U.S. Attorney for the Southern District, Josh Minkler.

Indianapolis will receive a surge of federal resources to address growing gun violence.

U.S. Attorney for the Southern District, Josh Minkler announced the implementation of Operation Legend — where federal officers are assigned to the city — on Friday. It will be in effect for the next 45 days.

“Operation Legend is not a new plan,” Minkler said. “It is not a new strategy.”

The coordinated law enforcement initiative, created by the federal government this summer, is being used in other cities experiencing an increase in deadly violence. Indianapolis has had a record 144 homicides so far this year.

An additional 57 federal agents will work with state and local officials to target violent crime. Other resources may include aid in investigations, stricter federal gun charges and stepped up warrants.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett says the rise in homicides could be the result of many things pandemic related — from loss of employment and community resources to boredom.

“No matter the cause, the effect is tragedy,” Hogsett said.

During a press conference, officials placed special emphasis on the importance of community involvement.

The distinction was also made that Operation Legend is not a response to civil unrest and protests and will not use unconstitutional policing methods.