State education officials monitored Muncie Community Schools on Monday to see how the district is responding to busing problems that cancelled classes on what would have been day two and three of the school year. IPR’s Stephanie Wiechmann an update.
In a statement after Monday’s classes ended, MCS emergency management team Administrator Assistance says the state Department of Education Director of School Transportation was at Muncie schools Monday.
The team quotes Michael LaRocco as saying that Monday’s buses ran as a “normal start to a school year.” He also called the transportation situation “not perfect” but points out that students made it to and from school safely.
After the first day of the new school year, MCS officials cancelled classes on Thursday and Friday last week because of mass problems with busing students. It is new bus company Auxilio’s first year running buses in Muncie. Auxilio hasn’t said anything on the record about the busing problems. Company president Ed Dollin was at a Thursday press conference, but did not step behind the microphone.
Parents talking on social media say some buses were still late on Monday and others arrived 20 minutes or more early to designated bus stops, missing kids that weren’t there yet.
For this week, MCS officials have staggered elementary school dismissals. Young students who ride the bus are being dismissed 30 minutes before the students who walk home. MCS officials say they will also put extra crossing guards out at the busy intersection of McGalliard Road and Oakwood Avenue.